One of the front fork bearing cups on my motorized cruiser is cracking

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
It still seems to work fine when it comes to turning the front wheel. But the top bearing cup is cracking. It makes me nervous so I want to replace them to be on the safe side. I called a local bike shop and they said there's multiple sizes for the beach cruiser frame. The bike is from Walmart. Anyone know what size I would need to get for just a standard Walmart cruiser bike? Do they generally screw in and out or do I need to use a hammer to pop them out? I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow after I get home from work.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
It still seems to work fine when it comes to turning the front wheel. But the top bearing cup is cracking. It makes me nervous so I want to replace them to be on the safe side. I called a local bike shop and they said there's multiple sizes for the beach cruiser frame. The bike is from Walmart. Anyone know what size I would need to get for just a standard Walmart cruiser bike? Do they generally screw in and out or do I need to use a hammer to pop them out? I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow after I get home from work.
Sounds more like you're talking about a dust cover. If there was a crack in the bearing cup, you'd have to replace the whole hub.

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
If it's a dust cover, should I be concerned about this? Steering still feels smooth not crunchy. What about using some JB Weld on it? You think that would stop the cracking from progressing?

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Which part exactly? The part that goes into the frame?

There are standards for each part of a bicycle headset and you must be able to accurately measure stuff. Depends which part is cracked. I’ve cracked bearing cups but it usually takes a hard accident. Give us a picture.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Which part exactly? The part that goes into the frame?

There are standards for each part of a bicycle headset and you must be able to accurately measure stuff. Depends which part is cracked. I’ve cracked bearing cups but it usually takes a hard accident. Give us a picture.
Yes there would be removable bearing cups in a headset. If it is a cracked dust cover or bearing cup then replace it.

At first I thought you were talking about the front wheel hub.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Walmart cruiser bike
The frame neck head set bearing cup pops out,
You can measure the cup and buy it on line or take it to a bike shop and they'll get ya what you need

Last edited: