Getting old is rough

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
As the title says getting old is tough, I’ve been having trouble with my right hip for almost a year, it was wore out. I had it replaced Monday morning, they had me walking as soon as I woke up. I had my first therapy yesterday afternoon and that was painful. When my son played high school football the head coach always said “ no pain no gain” , I hope he’s right.

Attachments

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I’m out of commission for at least a 6 weeks or so, the dr says September but I plan different,,as long as I can climb the steps to my office I will be going back to work, since I don’t have to do physical work I can run my job just fine.

PeteJ

Apr 27, 2023
I had my hip replaced about 8 months ago. The giant scar on butt cheek healed up nicely but I had to use a walker and a cane for about a month maybe 2. I had to buy a giant toilet seat extender and some funky utensils for showering and showering was scary for the first month actually had to have walker next to shower or risk falling. It took at least 6 months till I could do everything normally and I still have a little pain but nothing compared to the pain before surgery.
Any questions feel free to ask

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Yes, the title of your thread is appropriate. I am 72 years old. That range of motion is something those doctors can do something about with titanium shafts inserted into your bones. I will pray that your hip surgery turns out the way my friend’s did. He said that he’d wish he did it sooner. You did a lot of good things with cars and lots of other stuff. Thank you.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I got outside and walked some yesterday, I’ve been doing the exercises at home with the help of my wife, she was afraid she would hurt me. I kept telling her to stretch it till it hurts, the farther she went the farther it would go the next time. No pain no gain.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I have a new right knee put in in 2011, although not prefect, but all good. Then last year a new right shoulder, and the limit on the new reverse ball is not good for me, can't reach behind my back, sleep on my right side, and when your 82 you don't change your movements so easy for the change. So I have a lot of pain yet, depends on what I am doing...........Curt

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
Greg, you have the right attitude for recovery ! I’ve had 9 different surgeries in my life and most required rehab/physical therapy. Follow your doctors and physical therapists regiment closely. Sometimes overdoing it to rush things can actually slow the healing and force a longer recovery. Good luck and stay mobile !!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The therapist put me through a tough workout yesterday, I was sweating like you wouldn’t believe. I’m more flexible today and have less soreness in my thigh so I think it’s working. I’ve changed to a four wheel walker that lets me move faster, I was sitting here last night thinking of ways to motorize it