Getting old is rough

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Hearing aids are an improvement not a cure, I still have trouble with a crowded room or on the interstate with road noise. With the Georgia hands free law my hearing aids are useful, I have my iPhone setup so I can hear through the left aid, I lay the phone on the console of what I’m driving and answer and talk without holding my phone.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Here the hands free law is enforced, my wife got a ticket after her phone fell from the dash mount and see picked it up and continued with her conversation, a officer pulled her over and gave her a ticket. She had to take her hands free mount to court to get the case dropped, lesson learned.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I have it all, my third set of aids, cataracts done a few years ago with lens implants, then glaucoma surgery twice on right eye, and four times on left eye, twice just last summer. I have Bluetooth in my car, so it kicks in on the radio speaker, but in the motor home I bought a Bluetooth speaker for $20 at best by. Just open the flip phone and it is on. Like Greg can't open windows while traveling, if you do you can't talk to the wife or anybody. I will be 82 this fall so it doesn't really get any better, just patched over and keep going LOL...........Curt

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I’m starting to see a pattern here. We’re all getting old and breaking down. Where are the young guys on this forum ??
What’s that saying ? Growing old is inevitable, growing up is voluntary?
This is happening in the work force as well, I haven’t hired a maintenance technician below 40 in the 8 years I’ve been working for the local school board. The younger people want tech jobs that don’t involve manual labor, the average age of our hired people is 45 or so.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I couldn't work for anyone... Either they don't want to pay for the experience I have or they frustrate constantly trying to get cheaper quality and it just doesn't work for me... Maintenance is about maintaining something not limping from emergency to emergency just doing the bare minimum... It's expensive that way having to react to situation rather than prevent it from happening on your time... I've been phased out of today's kind of work... It's too much work to do any so I took 25 years off and work for myself doing things that save money I don't have to spend working to pay someone else to do... I spent a winter cutting trees into logs then a summer making them into lumber the building a cabin... Bought a bulldozer to do the road and septic... Power put in the poles I put up everything to install a meter... I could compare the lost wages I would have made doing this to the value in improvement I made to the property... It's about $20k for around 200k in improvement... Or 30years in payments to a bank for 3 years of work... The one thing I really like was I bought a car or truck and got to use it for every mile I had it for something I bought it for... I didn't drive it back and forth to work wearing it out to pay for it just to get another one maybe having a few weekends to put around with it... Most everything was from the 1960's and nobody drives these classics like there made to drive... Especially the dump truck... D500 from a military base with 18 Miles on it ? And a spare one less the dump body... When I got it DOT commercial inspected... The inspector was shocked at how new it was and how everything was perfect on it... Something that old expected to have many problems and miles... So there's a working museum sort of thing going on... A D5500 was $60k at the time and I had $5k in the old one that would turn a tighter radius and Cary more weight..
Just not as fast but more efficient... What's killed America is the constant need for the newest thing and shaming the old ways... My 1970 isn't your buddies 1970 they never took care of and abandoned in a field but if it wasn't for the dummies I wouldn't have been able to live like I did... So I sit back and wait for the next generation of ignorance to provide that supply of gifts there to great to be seen working on... ;)

• Love
Reactions: EZL and fasteddy

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I’m starting to see a pattern here. We’re all getting old and breaking down. Where are the young guys on this forum ??
What’s that saying ? Growing old is inevitable, growing up is voluntary?
I'm 50 and it's been good so far I'm old to some but not really I've been accused of being to old for this or that it doesn't matter... I was in a foot race with a guy half my age and half my size and beat him badly... He didn't like it... I also played soccer with some guys that were surprised when I scored a goal on them after not playing for 30years... It almost killed me but they didn't know that... Staying active is everything I've gotten into better shape remodeling my place and riding the bike everywhere... 10 years ago the motorized bicycle was a lot of exercise getting the broken down thing home... Getting old to me is running out of things to do to keep me young... I can't imagine how bad a shape someone would be in that never worked hard work and just sat behind a desk there whole life with no real strength built from that labor... I'm nothing compared to my 20's when I got kicked out of the gym for pulling the machines out of the cement maxed out... It's like if you took a group of concrete workers and put them in the NFL with just the basics of the game... Every play would be career ending for the professional player... The construction workers would win by default with nobody left to play the second half...

• Love
Reactions: EZL and fasteddy

Mossy

May 20, 2022
A week and a day later and I'm walking with a cane, I've been doing the exercises religiously to get the soreness out and strength in. The rehab exercises are tough but worth it.
I had my shoulder done a while ago and it was a while before I trusted it again but it's better than the other one now...

Reactions: fasteddy

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I’m getting around better each day, yesterday I moved one of our cars around to see how well my right leg performed. I was surprised that I had no problems going from throttle to brakes, so I know I could drive if I had to. I would drive my vehicles but not the school system truck until the dr says I can.